It is my pleasure to invite you to the opening of the next edition of XL, in which I participate! We are twenty artists to have created large format works especially for the occasion. The event will be held on Saturday, March 24 from noon to 6 pm at 3680 Jeanne-Mance Street in Montreal. Join the Facebook event. (Please note that I will not be able to be present at the opening.)
Faceoff, acrylic on canvas, 36" x 36", 2012
This is the portrait of Jacques Plante, the first hockey goalie to wear a mask regularly in the NHL. He did so after having received a powerful shot by Andy Bathgate during a game against the NY Rangers on November 1st, 1959. The shot broke his nose and required 200 stiches. Plante then told his coach Toe Blake that he would only return if he wore the mask. He agreed, and they won 3-1. That year, Montreal Canadiens won their fifth Stanley cup in a row , which will be Plante's last. He also receives Vezina trophee, awarded to the best goaler.
Another busy year, which gave me excellent memories, but also very good lessons. New collaborations, opportunities and possibilities. My path seems to become more and more exploratory, in constant change, reshaping itself as I move from one project to another. Here is my top 9 for 2017:
1. I started giving creative workshops in high schools, with the Culture à l'école program.
2. The Srabble Corporate Edition is finally completed, and shared by the blog designboom.com
3. My work goes on sale at Artsida auction at the Montreal Museum of Contemporary Art.
4. Creation of 13 new mashups for the HAHA-ART, with Just for Laughs and the Museum of Fine Arts.
5. New series of Fictitious Petroglyphs. They appear in issue #3 of As.Iz magazine.
6. Collaboration with Gribouilliz for the RU Festival on Mont-Royal Avenue.
7. Trip to the UK with LOJIQ to participate in the Happy Summercamp and visit London.
8. Skull & Mirrors. A new series of 3D works presented at Station 16 gallery.
9. Interactive work created for Pas d'radis Fiscaux, with ATSA at Parc Émilie-Gamelin.
Soon available in the shop! Pre-order here: email@example.com
House of cards (2017) is an installation created for Pas d'Radis Fiscaux, an event organised by ATSA on Nov. 16-19. Photos : Martin Savoie
It's already autumn, several projects are underway and I have to free space in my studio for the new works! If you've ever thought of buying one of my creations, here's the perfect opportunity. Paintings on canvas and wood, screen prints, posters, postcards, collectibles and unpublished works will be at 20% off for 2 days only.
october 20, 5 - 9 PM
october 21, 11 AM - 5 PM
135 Van Horne #304
Montréal, QC H2T 2J2
Please confirm your attendance and approximate time of your visit by writing to : firstname.lastname@example.org
I am now part of "Artsite à l'école" program and started giving creative workshops in schools! I really enjoy it, so if you know an art teacher, feel free to pass the word around. You can view the full description of the workshop here.
Four artworks from the blue series are now available at Artothèque de Montréal. You can rent them on their website.
There's a new batch of Ficticious Petroglyphs available at Station 16 Gallery! Sculpted in pieces of marble of various sizes using sandblasting, they're a tribute to the alternative theories regarding the origins of humanity and ancient Egypt.
The artist Gribouilliz and I created a 7' x 7' piece on the corner of Saint-Laurent and Mont-Royal during RU festival.